Argon Gas Bottle Valves

There are many different types of regulators out there with many different suppliers. So there can be confusion about the cylinders, the valves, and what connections and regulators are required. We hope the information below helps reduce the confusion.

All Australian approved Argon cylinders have a Type 10 valve and all regulators purchased in Australia should also have a type 10 valve connection. The only difference, for Industrial high-pressure cylinders, is that around 10-12 years ago the valve on the top of the bottles was changed from being vertical (i.e. the open valve was facing the sky), to being horizontal (pointing to the side). This change was made for safety reasons, specifically preventing moisture getting inside the cylinders.

So as long as your cylinder is Australian approved as all Rentfreegas and Speedgas cylinders are, then you are ok.


Regulators are used to control the flow of gas from the Argon cylinder to your job or application. The argon regulator allows you to work at a safe, and lower pressure, by reducing the high pressure inside the cylinder to the desired working pressure for welding. Below is an example of one of our regulators that includes a ball valve flow metre, allowing you to set the gas flow to anywhere between 0-25L per minute.








Some of the other gases and there valve outlets are:

GasValve Type
ArgonType 10
HeliumType 10
OxygenType 10
AcetyleneType 20
CO2Type 30
NitrogenType 50
AirType 60

Note: High-pressure Nitrogen cylinders have a Type 51 outlet connection. Check with your gas supplier about what valve type your cylinder comes with.